I promise I don’t live off of cookies and cupcakes although it might seem that way from my blog posts. More often than not, I try to cook healthy meals. There were a few ingredients in our fridge that I wanted to use up, so I decided to make a healthy side for dinner with red bell peppers, basil and quinoa. It makes about four servings and paired perfectly with our tilapia and broccoli.
Basil Quinoa with Red Bell Pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine cold water and ice cubes to make an ice bath. In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add basil to boiling water, stirring once and then draining immediately. Quickly place basil in ice bath to cool. Remove and gently squeeze out excess water.
- Place basil, cheese, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic in a food processor. Cover and process until nearly smooth.
- In a medium bowl, stir together warm, cooked quinoa and bell pepper. Add basil mixture and stir until coated. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.