I made the mistake of going to Trader Joe’s on an empty stomach, which means I wanted to try everything!! The garlic herb chicken sausage caught my eye and seemed really versatile. Since I had a spaghetti squash waiting to be used at home, I decided to make a healthy pasta dish with some of my favorite flavors. The pesto and garlic herb sausage worked perfectly together! I will definitely be making this filling, flavorful meal again.
Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Brussels Sprouts and Chicken Sausage
- 1 medium-sized spaghetti squash
- 16 oz. fresh Brussels sprouts, sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 chicken sausage links (I used garlic herb), sliced into 1/4-inch thick coins
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pesto
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F and line baking sheet with foil. Slice spaghetti squash in half (lengthwise). Scoop out seeds and place cut-side down on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 35 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, place sliced Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and salt, toss until evenly coated. Place on foil-covered baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes, until crispy on the outside and fully-cooked inside. You might want to flip them halfway through to get both sides.
- While Brussels sprouts are cooking, heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, until garlic is fragrant and sausage is browned.
- Use a fork to scrape out the “spaghetti” strands and place in large bowl. Add cooked Brussels sprouts, sausage and pesto. Toss until fully incorporated.
- Serve warm with freshly grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.