My boyfriend and I both love salted caramel-flavored desserts. We bought salted caramel gelato at the grocery store and it was gone in less than a week. You just can’t beat that sweet, yet buttery and salty flavor. Since I also love chocolate, I wanted to combine these two favorite ingredients and create a caramel, chocolate cookie. Why not go all out and throw Nutella in there, too? I normally like to share my baked goods with friends or co-workers, but these didn’t leave the house. That good.
For the cookie:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- Sea salt (to sprinkle on top)
For the salted caramel filling:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized sauce pan. Take off heat and stir in brown sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and salt until combined. Stir in baking soda and flour. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Place in fridge while making salted caramel.
- Now for the caramel filling: measure butter and cream, set aside. In a large sauce pan over medium heat, mix sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved, turn heat up to high. Then tilt and swirl pan while mixture boils. It will start to caramelize and turn a golden-yellow color. Take off heat and add in butter. Stir in cream. Mix in vanilla and salt. Set aside to let harden while you begin forming cookies.
- Scoop one heaped tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet. Create thumbprint-sized indentation in middle. Fill with 1/2 tsp. of Nutella then top with warm caramel. Place about 1/2 tsp. flattened dough on top and seal edges. Sprinkle with sea salt. Repeat until you run out of dough. (Makes about 15 cookies)
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until dough isn’t gooey. (Well, not too gooey. I like under-baked cookies)
- Transfer to wire rack to cool. Enjoy warm or cooled :)