This recipe for Hot Milk Cake is very special to me because my grandma has made it for my sister and I ever since we were young. It’s always a nice surprise when we come to visit and she has this simple, old-fashioned cake waiting for us (and some wrapped up to take home!). I’m very blessed to have such amazing, active and healthy grandparents who mean so much to me! For my college graduation, they gave me a pink KitchenAid mixer, which has gotten a lot of use! She also wrote down some recipes for me and of course this was one of them. I think it’s special to have it in her hand writing, although it takes some guessing to read… (sorry if you are reading this, Nana!) Don’t worry I decoded it, so that everyone can try this amazing cake!
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease and flour large bundt cake pan. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, heat milk and butter until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat eggs and sugar until thick.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Add milk and butter and mix well. The batter will be thin.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan before taking it out.
- It’s best served with an unhealthy amount of butter slathered on :)
She also gave me cupcake hand towels as a house warming gift when I moved to Las Vegas. She knows me so well :) my boyfriend will just have to put up with a pink, cupcake-filled kitchen.
As my grandma says, “happy baking!”