I am so excited to share this delicious dinner! The recipe started out as chicken parmesan, but I decided to substitute the tomato sauce with green chile sauce and add avocados. Ever since I visited New Mexico and Texas, I’ve been obsessed with green chile everything! It has so much flavor and the perfect amount of spice (because I’m not a spicy food fan). It goes well with everything from lasagna and burgers to chicken fried steak and mac & cheese. You can read about where it all began and some authentic green chile cuisine I experienced in a previous post from my trip.
If I do say so myself, this dish was amazing! Probably the best chicken dish I’ve ever made. The chicken was tender and juicy and the toppings gave it so much flavor. It’s warm, cheesy and filling, yet decently healthy. The perfect comfort food. Plus, it was also quick and easy to make!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup green chile sauce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 395F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
- Place chicken breast in Ziplock bag. Use a rolling pin to flatten until about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl (I used a pie pan), whisk together the egg and milk. Set aside.
- Pour flour onto a plate. On a separate plate, pour breadcrumbs.
- Coat one chicken breast in flour. Shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs. Press them in and flip it a few times, so that it is fully covered. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with other chicken breast.
- Lightly spray top of chicken with cooking spray and bake for 4 minutes. Flip, then bake for 4 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover each chicken breast with 1/4 cup green chile sauce (or however much you prefer; also depends on how big the chicken breast is). Arrange avocado slices over sauce then sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes, until golden and chicken is completely cooked.
- Serve by itself or with pasta. Enjoy!