I love sleeping in and taking my time getting out of bed. This is how my mornings have gone lately: wake up to alarm, snooze, snooze, check Facebook, snooze, check Instagram, check email, think about breakfast, finally get up so I can make it to spin class at the gym. I am taking advantage of the fact that I can do this everyday right now since I haven’t started my new job yet. My boyfriend, on the other hand, gets up around 5:30 for work most days. The least I could do is get up and make breakfast since I don’t have much to do throughout the day, but let’s be real, I’m not going to get up much earlier than nine. Then an idea hit me: crock pot! While he was sleeping the other night and I wasn’t tired enough to go to bed, I decided to make a crock pot meal that would be ready by the time he was up. I’d say it’s a win, win: I get to sleep in while also making him happy! He loved it :)
Here is the recipe for the simple and tasty casserole that I made. It makes a lot, so we have been reheating it in the microwave for breakfast this week and it still tastes great! I used a 4 quart crock pot, so you can adjust the amounts accordingly for different sizes.
- 10 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. maple sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cups shredded cheese
- 25 oz. frozen hash browns
- Beat the eggs until well blended. Then stir in the milk and salt. Set aside.
- Spray crock pot with cooking spray.
- Layer 1/3 of the hash browns at the bottom of the crock pot.
- Sprinkle on 1/3 of the sausage
- Sprinkle on 1/3 of the red bell pepper
- Top with 1/3 of cheese
- Repeat this layering process two more times, ending with the cheese on top of the third layer.
- Pour the egg mixture over the layers
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours